Contrary to the claims it made earlier that President Muhammadu Buhari would soon return home, the Nigerian presidency on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 changed its tune and said that the ailing president would be extending his.
A statement issued by Femi Adesina, a spokesperson to the president, said that “President Muhammadu Buhari thanks millions of Nigerians who have been sending good wishes and praying for his health and well-being in mosques and churches throughout the country.”
“The President is immensely grateful for the prayers, show of love and concern,” the statement said further.
“President Buhari wishes to reassure Nigerians that there is no cause for worry.
“During his normal annual check-up, tests showed he needed a longer period of rest, necessitating the President staying longer than originally planned.”
Rumours about the health status of the president continue to swirl on cyber-space after a fake news website reported that Buhari had passed on.